Pages

Saturday 26 October 2013

The Paperback Badshah by Abhay Nagarajan



When you read, “The comical Journey”, you expect humor and objects to laugh, I was expecting moments of fun. The book did have some fun elements however not as much as I expected or anyone else would expect after reading the tagline on the book. Not talking in general, it didn’t work out very well for me as a reader. It may work for some, not making a generic comment here!

It was not a boring read; I was entertained at some parts. The book can be read to kill some leisure time.

A guy who is sick and tired of his job, he is from an upper middle class family and can afford to take a break to write his manuscript. The book written was “The Paperback Badshah”. People made fun of him, his friends laughed when they came to know that he is writing a love story as he had never been in love. And it finally happened!

One think I don’t like with some of the books is about authors mixing language, with this book I found usage of a lot of Hindi words. Either you write in Hindi or English or some other language, why to mix and make a mixed language soup which not everyone is able to digest?

I think the publisher was well aware in advance about the quality of content in this book and that is why they didn't invest much in designing the cover or in giving a better quality print.

I don’t want to be too harsh here however being a reviewer I have to be! The book was not a humor book for me as most of the jokes failed to make me laugh. Now days publishing business is getting a professional structure however with this book I don’t know why Shrishti wanted to take a chance. I don’t know if this is what the author can write as I have not read any of his other books however what went wrong with this book is beyond what I can think of. If it was just a marketing strategy, it failed!

The book lost track at so many places and lacked proper editing. To be honest, I kept the book down so many times and always picked it again with a hope of getting something in coming pages, disappointed.


I repeat it was not a boring read; I was entertained at some parts. The book can be read to kill some leisure time. And to add, to kill leisure time only!

No comments:

Post a Comment